The OneDrive for Business sync tool saves files direct into your SharePoint space when saving from Excel, Word, PowerPoint etc. This feature can be turned off so that you save to your local hard disk and the sync tool then retrospectively uploads the file in the background. This benefits users on slower connections.
Warning: It is important to monitor the status of your OneDrive for Business sync tool. If it ever shows a warning triangle or red cross on the icon in the notification area, click the icon to investigate. Occasionally OneDrive for Business will prompt you to sign in, or to give permission to update it. Follow these instructions and do not ignore them. By ignoring the state of the OneDrive for Business sync tool, your data may not be synchronising correctly to your OneDrive for Business cloud storage space, and as such is at risk of loss.
To disable the Office 2016 integration, follow these simple steps.
- Locate the next-gen OneDrive for Business icon in the notification area.
- Right click this icon and select Settings.
- Click the Office tab.
- Untick the option ‘Use office 2016 to sync files that I open.
- Click OK.
Saving files from within Office Apps:
- Click File.
- Save As.
- Click the Browse button.
- Browse to your ‘OneDrive – (My Business) folder’ and save direct to that folder or a sub folder.
- The sync tool will upload a copy of the file to OneDrive to Business once the file has saved locally.